Functions and Duties
Arms Branch is listed as one of the Administrative Branch under the D.C’s Establishment. The primary duties of the Branch are governed by the Arms Act, 1959, the Explosive Act, 1884, the Petroleum Act, 1934 and the Rules framed thereunder.
The Arms Act empowers the District Magistrate to issue licenses in respect of Certain Categories of arms and ammunitions for:-
- Protection of crops and cattle.
- Keeping for sale/transfer of weapons.
- Renewal of All India Arms License issued from outside the state.
- Permission to Licensed holders to purchase weapons from outside the state.
- Realisation of License fees/Renewal fees.
The District Magistrate is also responsible for administration under the Indian Explosive Act, 1984 and the rules framed thereunder and issues.
- Fireworks license.
- N.O.C. for obtaining explosives License from the Explosives Department and renewal thereof.
- Permission to use explosives.
Administration of the Petroleum Act, 1734 and the Rules framed thereunder also rests with the District Magistrate who is responsible for:-
- Issuing and Renewing S.K. Oil Licenses.
- Issuing N.O.C. for setting up Petroleum retail outlet.